This is one of our very favorite summertime recipes. It is another of my mother-in-law’s recipes. She is a wonderful cook. I always make this with the tomatoes and just pick mine out—it’s easy because they are big. And Mr. V eats mine for me.
Summer Bow-Tie Pasta Salad
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1/8 to 1/3 c. fresh basil leaves, slivered (I am not a huge fresh herb person so I go towards the lower end)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 lb. bow tie pasta (farfalle, if you are getting fancy)
- 6 oz. mozzarella cheese, cubed
Halve tomatoes over a bowl to keep the juices. Add all ingredients other than the pasta and cheese and whisk together well. Let sit at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour.
Cook pasta according to directions. Drain pasta and mix it in. Add cheese hunks. Cover for 2-3 minutes to let cheese melt slightly. Then stir together again and serve.
MMMM! It is warm—although you can serve it cold and it’s just as good—but not heavy. It also makes a ton and will feed a big family or a little family like ours for a few days.
For more summer recipes, check out this post at Big Mama’s blog.
Added to the Harvest Party and Ingredient Spotlight: Garlic.